Saturday, June 7, 2008

The History Books Will Record Hillary Clinton Nearly Broke the Glass Ceiling

In her concession speech today, Senator Hillary Clinton referred to the 18 million people who supported her candidacy for president. She spoke of almost cracking the glass ceiling preventing a woman from reaching the goal of becoming a nominee for president. To paraphrase the statement she said those 18 million votes put cracks in that ceiling and made it easier for the next woman who tries to achieve what she failed to do in the year 2008.
The speech seemed to have three parts:
  • A Campaign Review She recounted the campaign and the special moments with thanks to her supporters, family and all staff. She followed that with the actual concession part. It is understood that she will suspend the campaign keeping her  delegates close at hand. With the power of the votes and delegates she will continue on with pushing the changes that she has so valiantly sought. If a hint  of her mood was given it was more in her dress than her delivery. Wearing black with just a hint of blue, she effectively did what she had to do. 
  • Push unity and exhort her followers to move ahead to Obama without hanging out at a pity party. So much like Hillary, always with that urgency of need propelling her forward, she recalled how in her 40 years of political service and public life only three times has a Democrat been elected in that timeframe of history.  Two of those times by gosh, were by "someone in the room" as she looked at her husband.  We have work to do. The Democrats must move forward. 
  • She made a statement for history on the fact that she had been the first woman to  reach such a level. With daughter, Chelsea, and mother, Dorothy there with her, she said she did it for all women and no one ever again need fear doing it.  It is something a woman will achieve.

Am I ready to get onboard? The phone rang ironically today on the day of this speech.  Would I like to contribute $100.00 to the Obama campaign a voice asks?  I think not. A meeting of the "Party Fixits" held just a week ago  is fresh in the memory. The public voice of the female candidate with  the"powerful enduring intellect" as noted by the NY Times, will be missed.  

That gas tax suspension proposed not long ago by the candidate is looking so good about now.

You were a tough one Annie Oakley!!!!!!
Norma Schmansky

Labels:

12 Comments:

At June 12, 2008 at 1:00 PM , Blogger Jennifer said...

Very well said. I hope that what has happened will not be forgotten by women of all ages. We need to support each other and focus of feminism. We're not there yet, that was clearly demonstrated this year. I'm 26 years old, my Name is Jennifer Staab and I'm a feminist. I'm proud of that and I want all women from 2 to 200 to be able to make a similar statement.

 
At June 12, 2008 at 7:32 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

ADMIT IT..You are truly a bitter and racist WOMAN!!
OBAMA will be the next president !!! So you go ahead and continue to campaign for McShame/McBlame for his 95% support of Bushwack and I will vigorously continue to share OBAMA'S message with all...WE NEED CHANGE!
Mrs. Clinton already endorsed Barack Obama and so has many of her loyal followers. I was a Clinton supporter, but I can assure you McCain will not...STRESSING will never ever get my VOTE.
I guess you're seeking your 1 minute of fame.
Take your "speaking from experience", monotoned, mute message and deliver it to someone that is as shallow-mined and weak as you are. You hipocrite!!

 
At June 12, 2008 at 7:48 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will vote for the Democratic Party ONLY IF Obama actually delivers on his speeches to want to "UNIFY" the party .... and I see that this can only be done by nominating Senator Clinton as his VP ASAP. Otherwise I will write in Clinton in Nov. If she is not VP ASAP, she should run as an Independent, it worked for Leiberman here in CT.

 
At June 13, 2008 at 12:17 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I respect Senator Clinton so much. It amazes me how she can find the strength to speak of quitting with such calm. Frankly, I was crying at home listening to her. I will miss her intelligence and her humor. But, I still expect her to be our president some day. Consider all of the re-writing of rules, the giving away of her delegates and her votes and all of the sexist nonsense. We all must now put these aside to clear a better path for the future. All of us uniting in a strong voting block will be necessary to insure that the NEXT time we have a candidate, she will be respected.

I will not be voting for ob in the fall, not because I'm angry and upset. I am angry and upset. I will not be voting for him because he's not now, nor never was, the most qualified candidate. PERIOD!

 
At June 13, 2008 at 7:34 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I watched John McCain last night at the town-hall meeting. He did a good job. Even though it was a friendly crowd this seems to be a strength for McCain.

I think it's funny that Obama said he would debate McCain any time any place, and now he is backing down on that idea. Obama isn't so tough or flashy without a prepared spreech.

I wish McCain would find a strong female surrogate to go out on the stump for him. Maybe Carly would do that. I think it would help his image with females.

They keep saying Hillary supporters will come to their senses and back Obama--I knew long ago that Obama would never be my choice for president.

 
At June 14, 2008 at 12:24 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I miss Senator Clinton! Unless something changes, though, I'll trust her that it's the right thing to do to vote for Obama. But I came to admire, love and deeply support her, and I miss her!!!

 
At June 14, 2008 at 3:18 AM , Blogger Junehilary said...

I am still so hurt by the events of the past weeks that I am really unable to comment yet. I just would like to share what I am doing each week day since Hillary's stepping down I have called Howard Dean ,have not yet spoken with him but I tell my feelings to whomever answers and ask them to be passed on. I will call every week day from now until the election to remind them I have not forgotten and I will not fall in line!
Howard Dean
1-202-863-8000
Join Me Please! Lets burn the line up!

 
At June 14, 2008 at 11:57 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I,too miss Hillary on the election trail. She would have been a fine President. I've been a supprter of Hillary since Bill was President, she is such a strong individual, I admire her. I cried when she came to my town and missed her by seconds. You see I had a broken ankle and couldn't make it out the door, to welcome her.
I had my chance to see her again in the ajoining town and I was not disappointed. She is everything I knew she was.
I will write her in come November. She, reminds me of a song by "Helen Reddy" , You ladies know the song, "I am Woman". Doesn't that kind of says who we as women are.
I love you for being Women. May good bless all of us.

Hillary for President 2012. I'm Patient I can Wait, I waited this long.
Diana

 
At June 14, 2008 at 12:00 PM , Blogger Lee Minick said...

I've never considered myself a feminist, but I've always believed that a woman could do anything as well (or bettter) than a man,because we bring compassion along with logic to our decisions.I am an 80 year old grandmother with 3 granddaughters, and we all think Hillary is the best qualified. She is a role model for all young women.

 
At June 14, 2008 at 1:13 PM , Blogger Junehilary said...

Please,any and all who feel they should vote for Obama because Hillary has now backed him.Look at how she was forced to that point! She was being pushed out of this race as early as Feb.! She has a senate seat to protect so she can still be our voice in Washington! She had a public obligation to do this! We have a moral obligation not to! I know my heart tells me he is wrong and I truly believe Hillary's heart feels the same! Or else why did she retain her delegates and just suspend her campaign? She is still holding out hope for the convention! I do not believe for one minute that she is doing this to pay her campaign debt! She has had no problem loaning millions of dollars to her campaign!No, my gut tells me never Obama and I will listen to my instincts! If not Hillary in 2008,then McCain for one term,Hillary in 2012!

 
At June 14, 2008 at 8:20 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just say No to OBAMA the DNC gave you president nod well after 30 years I a'm no longer a a party member I'M NOW A TNDEPENDENT and will vote for McCain

 
At July 22, 2008 at 5:41 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love it! Count me in!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Paid For By Real Democrats