Thursday, June 5, 2008

A Tip of the Hat to Senator Obama and the Superdelegates

A tip of the hat to Senator Obama. He did indeed go over the top in delegates Tuesday night. For those of us who do not wear hats bow down too before all the super delegates who had to urgently Tuesday join the DNC in their support. After suspending Florida and Michigan for three months, last week they exercised an unprecedented action and among other things threw some of her earned delegates his way. As one who has read some of historian writer, Theodore White's books on presidential campaigns, he would surely have written of this if alive. White too was among the first to notice the real impact of the media in elections beginning in 1972. We never thought that we could lose because we thought we had the authentic candidate. The real gold standard of a candidate especially valid for the Democratic party. A candidate who followed her heart and espoused all the things we once stood for. Founder, Andrew Jackson, envisioned a political home where ordinary people would be the backbone of the party while maintaining the lesser elite representation. We were wrong.

The mind-sets of the super delegates ran differently. While we assumed that winning most of the big battleground states with the working middleclass votes going for her, would certainly carry her candidacy we were so wrong. Yesterday we saw a super delegate, from Ohio, come out for Obama. Ohio was won handily by Senator Clinton. What is missing here? A local Columbus newspaper just last week did a story on why it will be hard for Senator Obama to win Ohio as Senator Clinton was ahead in the polls over McCain. Then with an overwhelming victory among the people of West Virginia, a state surely needed for Democrats to win in November, a state of Jackson type democrats, we have Senator Robert Byrd endorsing Senator Obama. Go figure. How are his coalition of urban voters and young university intellectuals going to carry this party?

We mistakenly thought that her having the most popular votes and 318 of a projected electoral vote number would at least buy time for the super delegates to look at every angle in deciding who would win. No time though she should concede now. How can she be so ungracious to the newly crowned? She had triumphed in most of the primaries since March. Obviously the train had long ago, maybe months ago, left the station and she wasn't on it. We think in retrospect, there was no way she ever would be . We examine every angle and painfully have to admit that it doesn't help to be a woman candidate for president in the year 2008. Ironically on the very day when Clinton supporters have all but quit the party in disgust or at least are thinking about it,a call comes from the state party asking for support to push a strong ticket. That will take so much thought. Perhaps years of thought. If the comments we have received to this site are any indication it probably ain't going to happen. Now you can put your hat away. We are truly blue in another way and it isn't going away. NSchmans

Labels:

10 Comments:

At June 11, 2008 at 1:04 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for starting this site I am definitely going for mcCain no more will I ever vote for a democrate

 
At June 11, 2008 at 1:20 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was shocked to see how Hillary was treated day after day. It was revolting for me to watch. CNN, MSNBC, CBS. It was SHOCKING & SICKENING. I am a real estate agent and thought I had seen pretty much everything. There should be a law or some kind of protection from something like this ever happening again. I do not understand how she was able to hold up with all the slurs. No wonder, she messed up on the 'Bosnia sniper situation'. Actually' the snipers were sitting on CNN & MSNBC. HOWEVER, I am glad someone is taking a stand. I had previously given to the Kerry campaign; and later found out Kerry had given the list of names to Obama; which explained why I was getting calls from the Obama comapaign to donate. I told the Obama campaign that they did not need my donation that he was getting plenty of free advertising from CNN, MSNBC and the other networks. This gift of our names from the Kerry campaign given to Obama was disgusting. Virginia Beach,VA

 
At June 12, 2008 at 1:01 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have found it horribly offensive, that the Dem organizations that I belong to or have visited during this primary season, have now taken to hijacking my email address and sending me email "orders" to unite with "other party members" and join the Obama Campaign. These unsolicited SPAM mails sent by the DNC are complete with Obama's campaign web address and attempts at guilting Hillary supporters into supporting Obama. This has forced me to unsubscribe from web organizations for democracy that I have been a member of for several years now.

If the DNC, dccc.org, et al are lacking this much in a tasteful approach and can be this overtly disrespectful as to canvass email addresses provided them for other purposes ... and then use those addresses to demand party members join Obama's campaign and vote for him, simply because he is a Democrat, then I no longer have respect for the DNC and our party. To me, COUNTRY comes before party and in my opinion, Obama is NOT what is best for our country at this time!

 
At June 12, 2008 at 2:42 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so relieved ot know that I am not alone in my disgust at the way HRC was treated during the entire campaign. I am a well-educated African American woman and I must say, BHO has pulled the wool over many an eye. After this mess, I am surely ready to leave from the democratic side and go republican. I have been a democrat for many years but no more. I truly believe that HRC had some turn-coats, who she thought was in her corner, Bill Richards for one, but to her surprise, look what they thought of her. I am so displeased about everything the news media did to HRC. It was unfair, sexist and totally inappropriate. I can assure you, coem November, I will not be voting for Obama. Democrats keep your hats on because the McCain wind is blowing in come November!

 
At June 12, 2008 at 2:12 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

here is the sad truth. The less qualified candidate has been pushed forward by the dem leadership and the media. Those who vote for him acknowledge that he doesn't have the experience but quickly say he can appoint people to help with that. Can you imagine hiring someone for a leadership position, say as a dean or ceo, and then having to say, " we know he doesn't have the right experience but I liked the way he talked and he can always hire assistants to tell him what to do in the job" This is outrageous. The veteran woman who could have gotten us out of this mess is relegated to the bench and the untested rookie is supposed to win the game. Good luck with those odds
I don't know a coach alive who would take that chance.

 
At June 13, 2008 at 10:13 PM , Blogger rob3gd said...

I cant believe that they did that. I'm no half a vote and we will see who is the half a vote in November

 
At June 16, 2008 at 7:50 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

To the comment that points out that a dean or ceo would not be hired with the understanding that he/she were not qualified but could hire assistants that could tell him/her what or how to do something. I can only say here that I shudder when I recall the words of Barbara Bush when she said:---I know my son doesn't have much experience but he has good people around him----

Name as many of those good people as you can. Cheney, Rove, Rumpsfeld, Libby, add your own you know who they are. We had this already and look where it got us. This will be the same thing only a Democrat will be doing the blundering. How can we go on like this? Picking unqualified people for the toughest job in this country?

To the African American woman who left a comment, I agree with her that the wool was pulled over the eyes of her fellow Americans. This will be tough an all of us but we must take this course to protect the country and it's people we care about. No more Media control of this country. They gave us this war, they gave us Bush 2x's and now they want to give us a rock star to serve as president. Take courage from here we must reclaim the vote.

My Heart is with you.

 
At June 17, 2008 at 1:06 AM , Blogger monyneen said...

I will Never vote for obama . My heart is with Hillary so I will vote McCain . We women will remember in November . Vote Mcacain in 08 . It is time we all stand together and fight the " man's cruel world toward women . If we let obama win this election we all have let Hillary and ourselves down . Lets keep fighting . McCain in 08 .

 
At June 17, 2008 at 7:33 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes not only MSNBC,CNN,CBS, But Bill Richardson,John Kerry,Chris Dodd,and many other white males,
Anderson Cooper, They were all pushing Obama, not knowing that when Obama was winning all those 11 states in a row that many Republicans were voting.But they will vote for McCain in November.
Even Tim Russert was pushing BHO.
I bet he sorry now!

 
At June 18, 2008 at 4:12 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am as upset as any of you, but will not vote for McCain or BO(interesting how that smells) I will write in Hillary, it may be wasting a vote, but I will be voting for the right person. Eleanor Roosevelt is not turning over in her grave, she's spinning.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Paid For By Real Democrats